Scriptlet support in iReport 3.1.2

leeyuiwah

According to the iReportDefinitiveGuide (Ch 11, pg 200), I should be able to call up the Scriptlet editor by select Edit->Scriptlet Editor, but on my iReport (come with JasperReports-Pro 3.1.2), I could not do that.

Is Scriptlet support retained in 3.1.2?

On this page for "iReport NB Release 3.1.2"

http://tinyurl.com/7bsllo

It says "Coming features: * Scriptlet wizard (plugin for NetBeans IDE only)", what does it mean?

Clement

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you have any luck figuring this out? I read the chapter on scriptlets in the guide but none of those dialogs exist in iReport NB 3.1.3. I didn't see anything that looked like a Scriptlet handler in the list of available plugins either.

The only property I have been able to find Report properties > Scriptlet class. This does not offer any suggestions on how to use the property.

Best I can tell, the Scriptlet Editor has been dropped from iReport with the NetBeans (NB) versions.  But maybe that's not a bad thing.

I ended up downloading JasperReports to get a look at the demo scriptlet that was provided in that download.  Then I downloaded and installed the NetBeans IDE 6.5 so I could compile the demo scriptlet which is written in Java.  I then loaded the demo JasperReport that accompanied the scriptlet into iReport (and after faking up the report data source), successfully ran the demo scriptlet.  Next I defined a new Java project for my scriptlet using NetBeans and copied and modified the demo Scriptlet.java for my report's needs.  The only change needed in iReport was setting the report's Scriptlet property to the name of my scriptlet class.

So the reason it's not a bad thing thing is that I have the full power of the NetBeans IDE to manage my Java scriptlet code instead of the single dialog in iReport.  And the only link between the report definition and the scriptlet is the report's Scriptlet property.