We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Problems printing with Acrobat Reader 8

ekappel

When printing the attached PDF with Acrobat Reader 8 (8.0, 8.1 and 8.1.1) under Windows XP some temporary files are created in the users temp directory. The following is an example:

Z@R169.tmp

Z@R16D.tmp

Z@S16A.tmp

Z@S16E.tmp

Z@R167.tmp

Z@R16B.tmp

[/ul]

The first 4 files have the hidden attribute while the last two have not. None of them can be deleted while Acrobat Reader is running (that's OK). When closing Acrobat Reader the first four temporary files are deleted,

but the last two stay and can't be deleted until a reboot of the windows system.

I checked the Windows Task-Manager and Acrobat Reader is definitely closed.

I tracked down the problem to the reference to the font Helvetica in generated PDF (the default font, but not used in the document). How can I avoid this reference from being created?

Thanks for any advice

Edi

P.S. I tried with version 1.3.3 and 2.0.2

[file name=Telefonverzeichnis.pdf size=84935]http://www.jasperforge.org/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/Telefonverzeichnis.pdf[/file]

Post edited by: ekappel, at: 2007/11/06 09:08

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The reference to Helvetica is present because the PDF exporter creates an empty text to be used as page anchor, and this text doesn't specify any font (hence Helvetica is used).

What we could do is to use the report's default style/font for the page anchor; this way, reports that have a default style/font would no longer refer Helvetica.

If you think this should be addressed, please log a bug here.

Regards,

Lucian

Hello Lucian,

first of all thank you for your immediate reply.

I hestitate a little bit calling the JasperReports behaviour a bug, since the real problem (bug :) ) is in the Acrobat Reader 8+. All works fine with Acrobat Reader 7 and earlier.

I only think the chance of getting the problem solved in JasperReports is much higher than in Acrobat Reader (I addressed Adobe with the problem before I posted it to this forum - with no answer so far :(). Your suggestion to the problem looks promising to me, because we use styles in our reports. So I'd rather post a feature request than a bug. Do I use the same link for that?

Regards,

Edi

It is indeed debatable whether this is a JR bug or not. The fact that the PDF exporter outputs a reference to a font that is not actually used in the report might be slightly surprising to some.

Feature requests can be posted at the same location (you'll see a link on the left side of the page).

Regards,

Lucian