MySQL Dates and Calendar Input Contol

dogfuel

What is the best practice for dealing with the 'feature' that returns dates from the Calendar Java-style (and, if it is intentonal, why does iReport handle it differently than JasperServer)?

I assume handling this in SQL as some suggested is really bad for performance.

Do I set a default parameter value that converts? Can/do I create a variable that converts the prompt value and se the variable in the report (and are things calculated in a sequence that allows this)?

Is there a step by step guide to dealing with this (for dummies. like me)?

Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nothing is wrong in JasperServer - didn't mean to sound critical.

The Calendar control in JasperServer returns a date in a java format that MySQL cannot use without reformatting - iReport's calendar prompt returns a date that does work with MySQL.

The question can be rephrased as "what is the cleanest way to use a JS 2.01 Calendar control as a prompt for a report on a MySQL source?"

thanks

The cleanest way would be to only use date values (and never explicitely format/parse dates to String) by create a java.util.Date parameter in the report, using it in the query via a $P{..} placeholder, and defining a date input control for it in JasperServer. The JRXML would contain something like

Code:

<!-- JRXML -->
<parameter name="DateParam" class="java.util.Date" isForPrompting="true"/>
<queryString>SELECT ... WHERE date_column = $P{DateParam}</queryString>

If this doesn't work in JasperServer, it's a bug. In this case, please provide enough information so that we'd be able to replicate it.

Regards,

Lucian