mouseover/tooltip

vinays84

I like the ability of displaying mouse overs (tooltips) on elements. However, they seem to require that a hyperlink be provided for them to show up. I can put a null link (javascript:void(0)), but it still gives the user the impression that clicking the element will lead some where because the pointer icon appears over the element. Is it possible to achieve mouse overs w/o the hyperlink?

Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tooltips don't really make much sense in a normal report scenario because the column headers should provide enough information by themselves.

When you attach a hyperlink to a report element the tooltip should (usually) explain the action of the hyperlink, not the report element's content.

I understand the point of a tooltip. I was using it to serve my mouseover needs and my initial question was if the mouseover could be acheived without using hyperlinks with tooltips.

Mouseovers do make sense in report scenarios depending on the report. For instance, if a report is significantly long, the column headers might not be visible for majority of the rows and having them available on a mouseover, opposed to having to scroll up for each value to verify the proper column is much more user friendly. This, of course, is only one example..there are countless others.