null data in pdf report

greenockboy

Hi

I posted a question recently regarding the generation of reports via a java application.

My problem is that everytime I try to create a pdf file from my .jasper file then it generates the file but shows no data....only nulls, the report works fine when run from ireport. I have searched the forum on this one and can find no reason for this.

Unfortunately I cannot access the zip files containing code examples due to restrictions on my PC.

I am sure that it has something to do with the datasource, but alas cannot work out what.

Here is my simple code:

Code:
        JasperReport jasperReport;
JasperPrint jasperPrint;

try
{
jasperPrint = JasperFillManager.fillReport("C:/Untitled_report_11.jasper", new HashMap(), new JREmptyDataSource());

JRExporter exporter = new net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter();
exporter.setParameter(JRExporterParameter.JASPER_PRINT, jasperPrint);
exporter.setParameter(JRExporterParameter.OUTPUT_FILE_NAME,"Y:/my IReport Stuff/netbeans.pdf"«»);
exporter.exportReport();

}
catch (JRException e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}

If anyone can see any problem in the code I would appreciate some help. Even if the code looks OK at least it will be something.

Many Thanks

GB

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

I have managed to resolve the problem regarding the creation of pdf files containing no data, despite using a pre-compiled .jasper file created in ireports that did indeed contain data.

The problem appears to be related to the using of a JrEmptydataSource object when filling the report. Everywhere I looked I was being told that this was the way to go.

However in order to actually fill my report with data I had to use a Connection object instead.

For those that will experience the same problem as I did then the code that ultimately worked for me is shown below.

Code:
        JasperReport jasperReport;
JasperPrint jasperPrint;

try
{
Class.forName("ca.edbc.jdbc.EdbcDriver"«»);
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:edbc://myDatabase", "myname","myPassword"«»);

jasperPrint = JasperFillManager.fillReport("C:/Untitled_report_11.jasper", new HashMap(), conn);

JRExporter exporter = new net.sf.jasperreports.engine.export.JRPdfExporter();
exporter.setParameter(JRExporterParameter.JASPER_PRINT, jasperPrint);
exporter.setParameter(JRExporterParameter.OUTPUT_FILE_NAME,"C:/example.pdf"«»);
exporter.exportReport();

}
catch (Exception e)
{
e.printStackTrace();
}

Anyway, good luck all and bye for now.

GB