Max limit of subreports within main report

feliciayong

Is there any limit to the no. of subreports that we can include in a main report without hitting pages of data with an additional blank page? This is bcos I hv just discovered that a blank page will be generated if we hv more than 58 subreports.

===Main Rpt1===

subreport1

subreport2

subreport59

subreport60

subreport100

footer

===============

Above Main Rpt1 produces Page1 of data, Page2 of data, Page3 of blank space(strange) whereas it will be different & ok for below scenario:

===Main Rpt2===

subreport1

subreport2

subreport58

footer

===============

Main Rpt2 produces only Page1 of data, Page2 of data ONLY without extra blank page.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree.

That is a curious thing.

In the book that I read (Jasper Reports for Java Developers - Packt Publishing), it said that Jasper does not have any limit to the number of subreport nesting levels... but that's for Jasper.

I'm quite certain that Jasper also does not have any limit on the number of subreports that can be placed in a master report.

This may just be a minor bug in iReport that the developers could fix.

As a workaround, if you really need that many reports, i'd suggest that you create one subreport that will contain (nest) 50 (or less) subreports.

... if you have 75 subreports you may put 25 subreports each into 3 higher level subreports.

This will give you one top-level master report with three subreports each containing 25 lower-level subreports that contain the different sections/parts or details that will make up your whole report.

Honestly I have not tried this yet and thus don't know if there will be any performance hit if you have a deeper nest structure... but I hope this would help.

Edwin