Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Slow Performance under Linux (X -query)

2006 IR Open Dicussion

By: Diogo Oliveira - diogosales

Slow Performance under Linux (X -query)

2006-02-07 02:37

Hi all

I have at my workplace a dual core machine with 4gb of ram running linux with ireport 1.1.0 installed.

I use that machine from any machine in the office connected to the lan, starting X remotely (X -query).

For the ones unfamiliar with the X -query method, it's a mode where the user can work with a remote server from any machine. Every real processing happens on server, being the workstation responsible for little more than sending mouse and keyboard events and recieving and rendering remote graphics on the screen.

The lan on my work site is preety fast and no problems occur when developing on eclipse, or whatever. Is when I start iReport that the problems begin. I'm having serious performance issues concerning iReport, but only when remotely connected. Running it through an X server directly on the server machine, it runs smoothly, but when I connect to it through X -query, no matter how fast my machine is, iReport runs slow, and gets impossible to work as I start filling a report with more and more objects. And i'm talking about 5-10 seconds for some menus to appear on click.

For me it's clear that the problem is the amount of rendering iReport requires when drawing the elements on a report. Actually, disabling antialiasing is essencial to even start working with iReport remotely: it hangs a lot with it enabled, even with no elements in the report.

I was just wondering, is there anyway around this? Any way to simplify the amount of image processing, in order to optimize transfer through X -query method?

Any help and suggestions would be mostly welcome. Thanks is advance.

RE: Slow Performance under Linux (X -query)

2006-02-08 01:49

For my case the problem is solved for now, as we increased the connection speed between clients and server disabling the firewall for it, but remains the notice for the developers that the application should be somehow optimized on this issue.

P.S.: I'm not saying iReport is milisecond-responsive now, it's just that is possible to work now. Optimizing options for better performance are still needed from my point of view.

Regards

By: cardondenis - cardondenis

2006-02-08 05:39

Hi Diogo,

I have the same issue here, speed is just bearable to use the software, but is far from lightning speed.

I've noticed network consumption goes up 2Mbps each time I move anything in a report. I've found that link : http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/2D/perf_graphics.html that explain a few things about the the way java handles the X protocol (see the "Remote X Server Performance Improvements" section).

I remember that I used to have better performance in the past, perhaps older jvm handled X differently...

It may work better with NoMachine NX compression. Didn't had time to test by now.

I'll be glad to hear from someone who found a solution!

Cheers,

Denis

By: Gianluca Bonetti - glbonetti

2006-02-09 05:52

Hello

I have the same problem.

Running on local display is fine, running on remote display by X -query runs very slow.

Actually is the user input that is handled slowly, or that is what it seems.

I have a two seconds lag between input in design panel (by mouse or keyboard) and result.

For this reason, I still am using iReport 0.5.0 which runs really fine. Give it a try, it has less features but it's better usable.

Hope that the problem goes fixed someday, for all other iReport really rocks! :)

Ciao!

gl

2006-02-10 02:29

Hello Gianluca

As I said before, as we noticed the main issue was intense X traffic, we put the server and client in the same network - no longer connected by firewall redirection - and now it's ok. If you could do the same there, maybe you could solve you problem too.

Btw, which JVM are you using?

By: Gianluca Bonetti - glbonetti

2006-02-12 15:25

Hello

Client and server already are on same network and there is no firewall at all (firewall is on router to dsl connection)

I'm using JDK 5.0 update 06 and 6.0 beta 70, which I continuosly track to see if something goes better :)

I noticed the problem with X -query from iReport 0.5.0. Now it's getting better with latest 6.0 beta but still needs too much patience for me :)

Could it be something about antialiasing?

I gave a fast read to the whitepaper pointed by Cardondenis and if I understand correctly, the antialiasing work is done by the X server (on the terminal client) and this could be the cause for excessive lag in transaction between X client and server.

Is it possible to completely turn off antialiasing in Java 2D by some property?

I searched by google but found nothing useful.

ciao!

gl

By: cardondenis - cardondenis

2006-02-16 09:53

I've tested with NX/FreeNX compression and there is a real speed improvement.

Cheers,

Denis

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This slowdown is filled as a bug at Sun's bugzilla (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338913). The workaround that is offered works perfectly. That is to say : just add the -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false flag when starting java (in our case it is in the $IREPORT_HOME/bin/startup.sh file).

Actually this bug is not specific to iReport, and you can find it in many graphical application using java.

The display speed with this workaround is rougthly as fast as on local display.

Cheers,

Denis

• 4 years later...

I bring up this thread, becouse it seams I have the same performance problem discribed above, running iReport under Linux Ubuntu 10.04, with OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.7), even in the local machine.

The same version under Windows Seven runs much more smoothly. Do someone has any suggestion?

Michele