We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

how to generate dynamic columns based on data

2005 IR Help

By: woodchuck - woodchuck5

how to generate dynamic columns based on data

2005-12-20 08:29

hihi all,

does anyone know how to design a report to generate a table with dynamic columns? (ie. based on the datasource?)

so sometimes the table could have 4 columns and sometimes 10 columns depending on the data.

is this possible to do?

please and thanks in advance!

woodchuck

By: Pavel A. Zvyagin - pzvyagin

RE: how to generate dynamic columns based on data

2005-12-20 19:56

ain't it what people call "crosstabs"?... as far as i know, JasperReports supports them, but iReport doesn't. Signor Toffoli, quando potremo creare dei crosstabs con iReport?

RE: how to generate dynamic columns based on

2005-12-21 11:18

hi, i didn't know what it was called but, yes, crosstabs seems to be exactly what i want.

i ran the demos from the latest jasperreports distribution and, wow, very impressive!! generates great looking tables based on data.

however, my next obvious hurdle is to understand how to make my own crosstab reports. but i can't seem to find any documentation or tutorials anywhere at all.

i looked at the .jrxml files but learning from these files is very hard. (does anyone really hand code these .jrxml files completely??)

can anyone point me to any free resources on learning about crosstabs? (or is the only way to buy the jasperreports manual?)

please and thanks in advance!

woodchuck

By: Laurent Coustet - laurentcoustet

2005-12-22 01:36

Yes I've made some crosstabs from scratch with the jasperReports documentation and examples... It's not as hard as you can think, just try making it with you're hands, ...

I've spent about half a day understanding how it works, but now, it works perfectly...

The JasperReports manual is not too expensive... You should consider buying it to help JasperReports Developpement !!

2005-12-22 06:51

hi Laurent!

thx for your reply!

ok, i will try to create a crosstab report by hand. i did spend some more time reading the demo crosstab .jrxml files so i will definitely give it a try!

and you're right, i may just end up buying the manual anyhow!

thanks!!

woodchuck

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days