The following are steps that can be followed to set up a data source within iReport to connect to an Oracle database:
Note:These instructions will work for iReport version 3.1 and greater.
- Download the JDBC driver (ojdbc-[your version].jar) from Oracle @ http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html
- in iReport, go to the following menu Window =>Services
- Expand the Database tree that shows in the Services window and right-click on the Drivers folder and select "New Driver..."
- Add the jar file; Give it a name i.e. "Oracle Thin" and click OK
- Right Click on the new "Oracle Thin" driver that appears in the Services window and selected "Connect Using..."
- Set up the database connection - as an example, you might use "jdbc:oracle:thin:@remotehost:1521:orcl", your username and password - and click ok
- Add a new datasource using the NetBeans Database JDBC connection - the new connection defined should be in the dropdown
- Open the report wizard and you are on your way....