Ad Hoc

Synonyms: 
Adhoc
adhoc
ad hoc

Is it possible to integrate ad-hoc reporting capabilities into an external system

Using any of the integration options? I.e. Rest API, Visualise.js, etc?

I don't even mind using IFrames if we can get around the user having to re-authenticate.

A bit of background; we have a web application that we are adding reporting to.  I would love to give users the ability to:

- Create adhoc reports/charts

- Save them as public or private (this could map to different folders under the jasper covers)

- Have a menu where the user can see all public and their own private ad-hoc report

guido.tapia's picture

Answers:

There's currently no API nor Visualize.js support for Ad Hoc views. There was a webinar yesterday and Tibco Jaspersoft said they Visualize.js support is on the works. I would like to see that too.

hozawa's picture

Pages

Sample report data targeted to the Manufacturing Industry

Does anyone have sample data for Ad-hoc reporting which is more relevant to the Electric & Machines Manufacturing Industry?

iggi's picture

Answers:

No answers yet

Pages

Ad-hoc views vs Reports

I am new to BI and looking at JasperSoft server 5.6.1 commercial edition.  Our users want to be able to create ad-hoc reports from an oracle data sources. I have to give a short demo of the web UI for designing a simple report. My question is a somewhat philosophical one: What are the general advantages of creating a report against a view as the datasource as opposed to other BI products where the report is designed directly against the relational datasource?

bill.talley's picture

Answers:

I think you're getting confused with terminology. In JasperReports Server, it's create a Domain and then Adhoc View. Adhoc Views are interactive reports. An user may opt to generate Adhoc Report from an Adhoc View but this isn't really necessary.

An user may also opt to create a Report using Jaspersoft Studio - this does't require creation of an Adhoc View.

I think what's you're describing as a "view" is a "Domain" in JasperReports Server terminology. Data abstraction and security is a good thing and it's another few checks on features comparision list, but I've found most users do this in their backend application, database, esb, etc. rather than on BI server.

I agree with your audience's stance. That's why I've developed an addition to enable users to just drag & drop files on to a web page to generate Adhoc Views directly from the file.

The main benefit of JasperReports is very good reporting compared with other tools. Jaspersoft Studio is a very good reporting tool. Another benefit of JasperReports is that's it's open source - it's possible to customize it to suit each user's needs. With proprietary product, you have to take what they offer you.

hozawa's picture

got it.

bill.talley - 2 weeks 6 days ago

Pages

An Ad Hoc view presents data for JRS Ad Hoc Editor to explore and analyze from your Topic, Domain, or OLAP data source. It can only be accessed through JRS interactive designer web UI. Ad Hoc views can also be used to create content for reports. When creating a report from an Ad Hoc view, the report is considered “dependent” on that view. Ad Hoc view report contains static template content derived from Ad Hoc view when it is created. This report can be run in foreground and back ground standalone outside Ad Hoc Editor.

One thing to keep in mind is that when modifying and saving an Ad Hoc view, its dependent reports are not updated. For example, if you open an Ad Hoc view in the Editor and add a column to it, that column will not show up in previous reports created from that view. In such a case, you may want to save the updated view with a different filename to avoid confusion.

If your user needs to explore and analyze data BEFORE creating a final report, then use JRS Ad Hoc Editor to create a view and its report. If they just want to create a report without analyzing the data first, then they could use Jasper Studio (or iReport) design tool to create the report and have it deployed to the server.

tchen's picture

thank you. it took a little while to sink in that ad view IS a sort of report by itself.

bill.talley - 2 weeks 6 days ago

Pages

Pages

WEB-INF/classes/relativedate.properties

I changed the week.start.date=2 to 1 but when i run a ad hoc with relative date filter WEEK and then  WEEK+1 i get Novemver 23 2014 on both views.

tim_16's picture

Answers:

Which version of JasperReports Server are you using? There was a bug in the earlier releases with dates and I think there was some remaining in the current release as well. Check Tracker to find any reported bug on using dates in adhoc to see if it's already been reported.

hozawa's picture

Here is the way one of my coworkers put it: "Jasper’s implementation of relative dates works by returning a date range object to the report, rather than a specific date. The object can then be queried programmatically for a start date and end date. It seems the JasperReports engine already does this by assuming the first date in a “between” filter would correspond to the start date and the second date would correspond to the end date.  For example, if you created a parameter called DateRange and set it to be a relative date type and set the value to “MONTH-1” the code will create an object that has a start date of the first day of last month (at 00:00:00.000) and an end date of the last day of the month (at 23:59:59.999). A developer could then call DateRange.getStart() or DateRange.getEnd() each of which returns a java.util.Date."

Hugo Mendoza's picture

Pages

Show column value in Ad-Hoc stacked column chart

In ad-hoc , I want to show the the measure's value inside the column of a stacked column chart

In iReport it is possible using the Highcharts API, but is it possible in Ad.Hoc chart? 
If so, how can I do it?

(JasperReport Server Release 5.5 )
manueleranucci's picture

Answers:

No answers yet

Pages

Input controls to show / hide / add / remove column in Jasper Pro

Hi, i am new in Jasper and i have currently created a few reports using ad hoc report creation.

My question is; can we have a few inputs controls that can make user select which column to see in the report?

Im using JasperReports Server Enterprise V. 5.6.1 with evaluation license.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the english.

aimanzulkafli's picture

Answers:

To hide input control, u can uncheck the "visible" option while creating input controls.

jaspersoft123's picture

Thanks for the reply, but i want to create an input controls that can hide / show a column in the report.
Not hide / show the input controls.

aimanzulkafli - 2 months 4 weeks ago

Pages

If you're using AdHoc reports, why do you need Input Control to hide/show columns. Hiding and showing columns are default features of AdHoc reports.

hozawa's picture

Thanks for the replies, but what i needed is a check boxes that will make certain column visible when they are checked.

P/s: The current hiding and showing columns is via clicking the options on each individual columns right? Or is there any other ways that i haven't found and yet are there to be use?

Thanks again.

aimanzulkafli - 2 months 4 weeks ago

If you don't want users to use the columns, why not just deselect them when creating a domain (view tab) or when creating an adhoc view?

hozawa - 2 months 3 weeks ago

Pages

Pages

Jasperserver Ad Hoc Report for a specific year and the year before

Hello,

I am totally new to JasperReports and I have a problem to create a ad-hoc report for a year.

The problem: The report should have just one parameter -> year. It should display tables and diagrams. The tables should include data from the given year, data from the year before and should calculate the changed in percentage between those years.

PamSchniesel's picture

Answers:

No answers yet

Pages

New Ad Hoc Feature Request

General inquiry into seeing if there are plans for the future to be able to use images as fields of data within the ad hoc tool.

ctech115's picture

Answers:

No answers yet

Pages

Using multiple IF statements in calculated fields

I'm trying to create a calculated field in an ad hoc using multiple IF statements. The thing is I'm not sure how to connect the statements. Below are the statements that i'm trying to use.  

IF("Origin Appointment Time" == null, 'NO APPOINTMENT') 

IF(ElapsedHours("Origin Appointment Time", "Origin Arrival Date") < 2,  '< 2 Hours')

if(ElapsedHours("Origin Appointment Time", "Origin Arrival Date") > 2,  '> 2 Hours')

if(ElapsedHours("Origin Appointment Time", "Origin Arrival Date") > .5,  'ON TIME')
steveo250k's picture

Answers:

You can next IF functions. Here is a sample with the Foodmart sample data.

sfriedman's picture

Pages

Sorting Month in Adhoc Editor

Hi,

I have requirement that I am using Year,Month(like January,February,..etc), and a measure lets say Count(*) on the Ad hoc. When I drag Year and Month, the Month is getting sorted alphabetically, However I want to sort it in time wise(like January then Feburary then March). Is there any way that I can sort Month without dragging any additional column(like Monthkey) and perform sorting based on that.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks, Ajay

ajay_chothani's picture

Answers:

The short answer is no.   What I do in these cases is to create a string field like "01 January"  and  "02 February"  or "Month 01 (Jan)" or so - whatever would look the best as a label to the graph.  But there's no way, that I know of, to separate the label on the axis from the data being sorted.

djohnson53's picture

Pages

Pages

Feedback