Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

JSS 6.0.3 can not copy Report Units in Repository in the same folder.

mlopez_1

JSS 6.0.3 can not copy Report Units in Repository in the same folder.

Jaspersoft Studio 6.0.3 Win7x64 against Jaspersoft Server 6.0.1 CentOS 6.4x64 JDK 1.7

When I want to reuse one Report Unit to create another one i can not copy in the same folder or even in a different folder but with same resource ID.

Always ask me for 'Skip this object' o 'Replace object'. I just want a new copy of the selected Report Unit for me to modify, the source Report Unit should remains the same.

New bug report open too: http://community.jaspersoft.com/jaspersoft-studio/issues/4153

Can somebody tell me if I can duplicate Reports Unit by copying ?

Regards,

Mariano

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only this, the problem is that JSS copy Report Units with the same resource ID.

If you make a copy in a subfolder, you can, but try to copy again the same Report Unit in the same subfolder and the problem raise again.

I think this is a big problem, in my case, I work in a big hospital and i have hundred of reports. My way of work is to create Reports Units with all the Input Controls that works like templates, copy one of them and modify to achive the behavior of the new one. This is very quick and help me a lot to avoid mistakes considering that this Report Units templates are much probed.

Perhaps I have to submit a tracker as a enhancement rather than bug because this a basic feature in big installations.

Regards,

Mariano

JasperReports Server currently does not support repository resources with the same id under the same uri. Jasper Studio and iReport use JasperReports Server web services call to publish report unit into the repository thus the same restriction applies.

The bottom line here is in order to work around the issue, user must use a different uri (being a new sub folder, or a different folder, does not matter) to do the copy/paste. It does not mean that once it is placed in a sub or different folder, then user can make the cop[y/paste work at will in any folder. User can only paste a resource into a repository folder that does NOT contain a similar resource ID. Hope this clarifies the issue.

For your information, this is a known issue and we already have a feature enhancement request filed (internal ID is 14571). The request comment stated that our users “would like to be able to make a copy of a repository item (say, a report) in the same folder - a duplication feature similar to the one in Windows system where if an item is moved or pasted into a folder where an item with identical name already exists, then the new item will be named as copy 1, copy 2,.. of the original item. “ This enhancement request is under PM review without ETA on its implementation date.

The enhancement request filed (internal ID is 14571) is exactly what i need.

I think this will be very useful in large implementations, with a great number of Reports Units.

In what release do you think it will be implemented ?

Thank you very much for your post.

Mariano