Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Fin. Reports in Columns. What's best to use ? subreport, table, dataset ?

rkattke

Fin. Reports in Columns.  What's best to use ? subreport, table, dataset ?

An easy example of this could be: Balance sheet, Income statement, Inventory tallys, Store revenues and expenses, etc.

The separate columns could be, by time-period (ie: year), or any other segmentation: by geographical location, or grouping, or by store. 

I'm thinking that I'll need grouping sub-totals, as well as a grand total.  In a balance sheet, it would be all revenues summed to a subtotal, all expenses summed to a subtotal, and a grand total, also.  I also may need a tally of all columns grand totals, as well.

I'm not using any references to iReport, as we're not on Studio (JSS),  and I assume Group (and group footer) is not being used with subreports (only tables now)  so there's a lot of iReport examples, that I have to ignore.

I've explored subreports, and this is good (passing a field from the main report query), but how can I use this in a columnar format ?   Also, re: subreports and using the grouping attributes, with variable for sub-totals.  Using printWhenGroupChanges  printWhenExpression.   When I do a query that includes a  sum, and 2 other fields, and I have to group on both, how do I print the subreport for each change (either field changes values) ?

For tables and datasets, I understand their (query) dataset are stand-alone.   Unless I've missed something, and a param can be passed to them.  

Since our columns have the same data, just grouped differently, it would be great to re-use the main query, just qualify each column with an additional WHERE clause.  

I see there is a Crosstab element (which I have not explored)  and I'm wondering if my requirement is close to something like a Pivot table, in Excel. 

Suggestions and Advice, most welcome;  thanks in advance.  Perhaps there's even a sample that shows this very well.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic