Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

How to install and start using in Ubuntu 12.04

jdubow

Hi:

I just downloaded the IReport 4.71.tar.gz. I unpacked it and  noticed a lot of folders. I want to use Ireport to evaluate it for possible recommendation to one of our customers. The goal is to create some dashboards and figures for use in reports and to report data to stakeholders.

I'm not a programmer but I  am not afraid of typing in Bash shell scripts. I'm also not familiar with the linux file structure but I can create a directory or too if needed. I checked google for instructions on how to install IReport on Ubuntu but didn't get any usable instructions. I am using Zorin Ultimate, which is based on Ubuntu 12.04, and I have a capable machine (AMD quad core 2.3 ghz, 8gb ram, 250 gb hard drive)

So what I hope to get is a set of step-by-step instructions on how to set up IReport so I can start from an icon someplace and get working to create some figures based on some data in excel format or in .csv or text.

Thanks,
Jojo

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Once you umpack the tarball and move it to a useful place (f.i. /usr/local). iReport is a Java Application so you need a working java runtime environment. (type #java -version in a terminal window to see if it's installed)

Then just you have that navigate to the /bin folder and double click on ireport.

Best!

No problem. I am glad to do so. I'm just not sure how to record a vote. When I clicked on the link you sent I got to this page and posted this comment. I don't see a place to vote. Please let me know so I can do so. Thanks again.

Jojo