iReport Install Problem: "Cannot find Java.exe"

Hi Everyone -

I'm new to iReport... I have a new Windows 7 PC  with very few programs installed (except MS Office 2007, Visual Studio 2008 and Visual Foxpro 9.2 )machine... I installed the latest build of iReport (Windows stand-alone version).

Everything appeared to install correctly ... however.. when I attempted to run the program, I get the following error:

"Cannot find java exe."

"Neither (null)\\jre\\bin\\java.exe nor (null)\\vin\\java.exe exists"

My question is:  Even though I installed the "stand-alone" version ... do I have-to install additional files? 

If so... which, and where can I find them?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

tomking23's picture

8 Answers:

Code:
just setup the JAVA_HOME 
Environmental variable with the following path.

C:\\Program Files\\jasperserver-pro-3.7\\java\\jre

You will be alright. Refer to the screenshot.</td></tr></tbody></table>
arundba's picture

Thank you very much for your response...

I had to "ADD" the Environmental variable... to the system properties... as it was not in the list at all ... however... nothing happened...

When I try to run iReport... I still get the "Cannot find Java.exe..." error.

Moreover... I don't even have the directory referenced in the environmental variable you suggested I add... iReport didn't install that directory (see attached picture of my directory) ...

Do I need to install JasperServer and/or JasperReports, in addition to iReport... to get the necessary support files to run iReport?

Thanks again ... !

Post Edited by tomking23 at 02/15/2010 03:24
tomking23's picture
hi tom, you don't need to install jasper server. search for java.exe on your system. Set that as the JAVA_HOME variable. once you point the java. you should be able to run ireport. i have iReport on windows 7 pro.
arundba's picture
if you don't have java on your system, you have to download and install it. jre5 or jre6 will also do.
arundba's picture
Thanx Guyz I got my Ireport 3.7.3 working following your advice
tjnas's picture

I have win 7 x64 and Jre x64 intalled. IReport 4.0.2 installed.

Still I receive the eror instead JAVA_HOME path sugested.

Post Edited by juvesoft at 07/01/2011 23:38
juvesoft's picture

I'm using win 7 64bit. I installed iReport 4.5 (release on today - 8 Dec 2011) & it brings to me the same result. As what I see: +Reason: The iReport (in "C:Program Files (x86)JaspersoftiReport-4.5.0binireport.exe" for my case) look up absolute name of jre & jdk folders (not something like jre7 or jdk1.7.0_01 folder in installed Java folder, in this case I install the Java Platform (JDK) 7u1) + Solution 1st way: set JAVA_HOME in system variables to your installed Java folder but you have to be sure there are absoulte jre & jdk folders not the jre_x/jdk_x where x is the verion of java runtime as stated above) I prefer the 2nd way which is more flexible & can allow to use multiple java runtime

2nd way: Set up the jdkhome in (installed Jaspersoft folder)iReport-4.5.0etcireport.conf to your installed Java folder.Example for my case: step1: create a new folder, eg: "C:Program FilesJavaforJasper45" step2: copy jre7 & jdk1.7.0_01 to that folder then rename to jre & jdk repectively step3: add this line in the ireport.conf jdkhome="c:Program FilesJavaforJasper45" Then it works for me

Code:
Here is the content of my ireport.conf file:

# ${HOME} will be replaced by user home directory according to platform
default_userdir="${HOME}/.${APPNAME}/4.5.0"
default_mac_userdir="${HOME}/Library/Application Support/${APPNAME}/4.5.0"

# options used by the launcher by default, can be overridden by explicit
# command line switches
default_options="--branding ireport -J-Xms256m -J-Xmx512m -J-Dorg.netbeans.ProxyClassLoader.level=1000 -J-XX:MaxPermSize=512m"
# for development purposes you may wish to append: -J-Dnetbeans.logger.console=true -J-ea

# default location of JDK/JRE, can be overridden by using --jdkhome <dir> switch
#jdkhome="/path/to/jdk"

jdkhome="C:Program FilesJava4StupidJasper45"

# clusters' paths separated by path.separator (semicolon on Windows, colon on Unices)
#extra_clusters=

Post Edited by aoopvn at 12/09/2011 06:02

Post Edited by aoopvn at 12/09/2011 06:03
aoopvn's picture

His solution sounds good, but don't have effect in windows 8

istrak23 - 1 year 9 months ago

Im on windows 8 and it worked. thank you!

y.sarvinia - 2 months 3 weeks ago

SET Environment Variable with:

JAVA_HOME = E:\Program Files\Java\jre7

or C:\Program Files\Java\jre7

where java.exe can be found in X:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe

transcend3nt's picture
Feedback