We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

How to set the field used for a group by parameter

bob007

Hi all,

I'm new with JasperReports, and I'm asking myself if there any way to set by parameter the field to use for a group ? And I have the same question for a textField.

I will always have the same fields but I want to be able to change the grouping and one textfield specifying the field by parameter.

Is it doable ?

Or I have to change it programmatically when the .jxml if precompiled ? Then what is the best way to change a small part of the .jxml like that ?

Thanks,

Phil

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I  tested with parameters values:
- bondetravail_groupe
- $F{bondetravail_groupe}
- <![CDATA[$F{bondetravail_groupe}]]>

The grouping are not working with the specified parameter.
The textField display (in result) the string exactly like the parameter string (ex: $F{bondetravail_groupe} ) not like the value of specified field.

So I guess the only way to modify the report is doing it programmaticly.  To build my report with JasperDesign.

I don't want to have a template (.jasper) for each grouping possibilities.

Hi, i tried that and it didnt work. with the value parameter  value: bondetravail_noBon.

<parameter name="fieldNameParameter" class="java.lang.String">

<defaultValueExpression><![CDATA[]]></defaultValueExpression>

</parameter>

<field name="bondetravail_noBon" class="java.lang.String"/>

<group name="groupe">

<groupExpression><![CDATA[$P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.getFieldValue( $P{fieldNameParameter} )]]></groupExpression>

<groupHeader>

<band height="31">

<textField isBlankWhenNull="true">

<reportElement x="1" y="11" width="187" height="20"/>

<textElement>

<font size="14" isBold="true"/>

</textElement>

<textFieldExpression class="java.lang.String"><![CDATA[$P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.getFieldValue( $P{fieldNameParameter} )]]></textFieldExpression>

</textField>

</band>

</groupHeader>

<groupFooter>

<band height="26"/>

</groupFooter>

</group>

Apparently starting from JR 3.1.4 you need to explicitly set a report scriptlet class in order to use $P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.  So you should set net.sf.jasperreports.engine.JRDefaultScriptlet as scriptlet class for the report in order to make the expression work.

Regards,

Lucian

There is a solution, which is more of a hack and not very pretty.  See this thread, the part about the EvaluationScriptlet.  Note that there would be a (hopefully) small performance penalty due to the fact that some time will be spent filling the exception stacktrace; perform some tests to verify that the performance does not significantly alter.

HTH,

Lucian

Post Edited by Lucian Chiriţă at 04/17/09 16:11

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I would like to have a dynamic group on a report but the group headers are not presented. I have developed my report in the iReports. I did the following steps:

1.define a parameter P_GROUP_COLUMN

2.modify sql statement    SELECT a.name, a,surname, a.countryId, b.post FROM person a, post b WHERE a.PostId=b.PostId ORDER BY  a.$P!{P_GROUP_COLUMN}     (SQL is not the real one, here is just a simple example used to present table alias in order by)

3.Define a new group GENERIC_GROUP  <group name="GENERIC_GROUP">
  <groupExpression><![CDATA[$P{REPORT_SCRIPTLET}.getFieldValue($P{P_GROUP_COLUMN})]]></groupExpression>

4.Define Scriptlet class EvaluationScriptlet ( I copy the script from http://jasperforge.org/plugins/espforum/view.php?group_id=102&forumid=103&topicid=41760)

Group headers are not presented in the report (only the first one). Do you have any hint what should I do? EvaluationScriptlet did not help me? Should I define something more?

Regards,

Primoz

Hi,

I spent a few more hours today but I did not find out the way to solve the problem with dynamic groups. The simple report is in the attachment. Below is java code for EvaluationScriptlet .

Regards,

Primoz

Code:
public class EvaluationScriptlet extends JRDefaultScriptlet { public Object evaluateField(String fieldName) throws JRScriptletException {  JRFillField field = (JRFillField)this.fieldsMap.get(fieldName);  if (field == null) {   throw new JRScriptletException("Field not found : " + fieldName);  }  StackTraceElement[] stack = new Exception().getStackTrace();  if (stack.length < 2) {   throw new JRScriptletException("Unable to obtain current call stack");  }  String evaluateMethod = stack[1].getMethodName();  Object value;  if (evaluateMethod.startsWith("evaluateOld")) {   value = field.getOldValue();  }  else if (evaluateMethod.startsWith("evaluate")) {   value = field.getValue();  }  else {   throw new JRScriptletException("Unable to determine evaluation type from method name " + evaluateMethod);  }  return value; } public String priorityDescription() throws JRScriptletException {     String ls_artikelId = (String) this.getFieldValue("artikelId");     return "Does it work"+ls_artikelId; }}

• 6 years later...