sub reports flat don't work for me

I'm very frustrated with ireport. I can't get a subreport to work in any way, shape or form.

I have tried the simplest of all sub reports and still no go. Can someone post a simple, simple version of a subreport that I can try?

What I'd like to do is have it in my pageHeader band.

Maybe I just need to reinstall iReport.

Has anyone else had such a baffling problem?

Thanks,

Jet

joethejet's picture

4 Answers:

An update. It appears that the problem is only when running in iReport. In other words if I run the report from a java program the subreports will show up.

Makes it hard to use iReport as a developmenet tool.  :(

joethejet's picture
Do you have the reports that can be uploaded here, I'll try it in mine to see if I can see anything. Someone here is probably better able to discuss whether / what data is available in when the header of a report is processed/filled with data. I'm guessing that your query isn't processing in the manner/order you think it is. I generally use subreports (mine are filled with data dependent upon 'current' data in the parent report though) in the detail and summary sections.
CaptnTony's picture
Thanks, but I *think* I figured it out. The problem involved database connections. Seems that even if your all text header doesn't need the database, you better put a query in sub query or nothing will show up (or use the no data band). I just put in a 'select * from dual' and it seems to work. Thanks for offering to help! It's much appreciated. Jet
joethejet's picture
Ah, yes. I Have many a report (even though they are 'containers' for subReports - they need no data as a source) that have SELECT 1 AS temp (that way nothing has to travel to/from the database server for naught) as datasource :)
CaptnTony's picture
Feedback
randomness