We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Problem displaying PDF from within iReport

thosp8246

Whenever I run a report using the Build 'PDF Preview', I get the following message:

"There was an error opening this document.  This file cannot be found."

While the report is Compiling/Filling/Exporting/Executing I get the following two messages in the Exporting and Executing phases:

EXPORTING:   Exporting PDF to file (using iText)... .WISER_IEP_FORM_1.pdf.

EXECUTING:   Executing: C:|AdobeReaderReaderAcroRd32.exe .WISER_IEP_Form_1.pdf

At the command prompt, if I execute 'C:|AdobeReaderReaderAcroRd32.exe .WISER_IEP_Form_1.pdf' I get the same error message as before.

However, if I fully qualify the path to the PDF, it works:

C:AdobeReaderReaderAcroRd32.exe "C:Program FilesiReportiReport-2.0.4WISER_IEP_Form_1.pdf"

Please note that the double-quotes are necessary since there is a space in 'Program Files'.

Am able to preview the document using Build 'JRViewer Preview'.

Is this an error in how iReport attempts to display the PDF, or is there an option I am missing that will take care of the problem on my end???

Please enlighten me...I really prefer using the PDF Preview option.

Thank you, 

Thomas

Am running iReport 2.0.4 on Windows XP.

Options / Setting / External Programs  PDF Viewer set at:  C:AdobeReaderReaderAcroRd32.exe

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the same problem with some versions of iReport and not others. You might want to try downloading a different version and using that once to see if it makes any difference. I use 2.0.4 and seem to have that problem with it but I have experimented with 3.0.0 and not had this issue with it but since the border and pading of items were handled different in these versions it can cause errors in older reports opened in the newer version.

hangman01
Wrote:

I have had the same problem with some versions of iReport and not others. You might want to try downloading a different version and using that once to see if it makes any difference. I use 2.0.4 and seem to have that problem with it but I have experimented with 3.0.0 and not had this issue with it but since the border and pading of items were handled different in these versions it can cause errors in older reports opened in the newer version.

Well, I installed version 3.0.0, and got the same results.   Bummer!!!

However, I did notice one difference which probaly accounts for the problem in the 3.0.0 version.  In the EXECUTING phase you now see:

Executing: C:|AdobeReaderReaderAcroRd32.exe ".WISER_IEP_Form_1.pdf"

I think that the double-quotes around the PDF filename are preventing the '.' before the name from being resolved down the the directory name that the file is in.  The PDF filename should be resolved down to its fully qualified name PRIOR to the addition of the double-quotes (which I am assuming are added to accommodate directory and file names that contain spaces in them.

But, I guess we're getting closer...

Post Edited by Thomas Parisi at 11/19/08 22:09

I don't have any better answer than what I normally do once I get that message is I close the pdf veiwer then go to the directory where my .jasper file is located and find the .pdf  that has been created there and open it using my pdf viewer. Are you keeping both the .jrxml and the .jasper files in the same directories? I have found that I will use the JRViewer Preview option for the early development work and quick checks and the pdf viewer when I am getting to later testing of the more or less finished reports. I have found that this will save time even over the pdf view when everything works correctly.

hangman01
Wrote:

I don't have any better answer than what I normally do once I get that message is I close the pdf veiwer then go to the directory where my .jasper file is located and find the .pdf  that has been created there and open it using my pdf viewer. Are you keeping both the .jrxml and the .jasper files in the same directories? I have found that I will use the JRViewer Preview option for the early development work and quick checks and the pdf viewer when I am getting to later testing of the more or less finished reports. I have found that this will save time even over the pdf view when everything works correctly.

My JRXML and JASPER files are located in different directories

Last Wednesday I had to send some PDF reports to one of my clients, so I tried using the PDF viewer (it failed of course) and then went to the iReport directory (C:Program FilesiReportiReport-2.0.4) and then sent the reports to the client.

It's just frustrating to not be able to use the PDF viewer the way it worked before...it saves several steps.

Oh well, thank you for your time and consideration.

Thomas