Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

Counting Group Occurences

ahullinger

I have the Definitive Guide to iReports and I followed those instructions on counting the occurences of a group, but the counts are incorrect once the report is filled.  Numbers show up, but they are counting something other than the counties.

Here's the situation.  I created 2 Report Groups: State and County.  I want to count the number of Counties for each State.  I created a new Variable with Variable Class Type as java.lang.Integer and the Calculation type as Count. 

My Variable Expression is as follows:  ( $V{County_COUNT} != null && $V{County_COUNT}.intValue() == 1 ) ? "" : null

The Initial Value Expression is:   new Integer(0)

The Eval. time is "Group" and the Eval. Group is "County".

Is there something that I'm overlooking or is there another way of solving this? 

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ashley,

try this: Create a new variable with

• Variable Class Type: Integer
  • Calculation Type: Count or Distinct Count (depending whether you want multiple occurences of a county within a state to be counted or not)
  • Reset Type: Group; Reset Group: state (this is actually rather important)
  • Increment Type: None
  • Variable Expression: $F{county} for example if the field class type is comparable or something like $F{county}.getId(), but this depends on your data; However, you should provide a value to identify each country
  • Initial Value Ex

Now you can add a field, for example to the footer of your state group, with the field expression $V{nameOfYourNewVariable} . For the evaluation time works 'Now' as well as 'Band' or 'Group' in combination with Evaluation Group 'county' or 'state'.

Hope this helps.