Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

about ad hoc reports..

alaa56mm

Dears..

i saw the JasperServer demo for Ad-Hoc reporting...

but in that case u should do the topics using JasperStudio(IReport), so the end user should write the select query ,,,

but this is not the ad-hoc report needed, because i saw that i should(as end user) select the business views(like tables) and do the select and join and add where conditions as i like,(ALLL OF THIS WEB-BASED)...so i can NOT do it in JasperServer , Right??

Post edited by: alaa56mm, at: 2008/02/09 10:37

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our next version of JasperServer Professional in May/June will allow you to define business views on top of data sources and then allow users to drag and drop to create a query, which they can then use with the current ad hoc reporting feature. The joins etc will be managed behind the scenes, so that user will not need to know SQL or any query language to get to the data they want.

Sherman

JasperSoft

Wonderful feature! This AdHoc reporting I saw in the demo is what prompted me to investigate JasperServer/JasperReports/etc... I was very surprised not to see it after I struggled through getting a new minimal slice on our Xen server with the JBoss install and JasperServer. It does seem to be working well, and I have used the plugin for iReport to design test reports against our database and upload them to the server, but I can find nothing about AdHoc reporting. :(

Will this AdHoc be available only in JasperProfessional, or will it be available in the communiity/free edition of JasperServer?

Best Regards,

Steve

• 3 years later...

Well, I am new to JasperReports. I was asked by  my manager to test the new JasperReport Server 4.0.0 for dynamic reports. It took 2 weeks for me to understand the difference between ireport designer, jasperReports and JasperServer Pro edition. I understood only professional/enterprise edition will give the option for dynamic reporting. I have downloaded the free Pro evaluation version. It is good to test all kinds of reports on the JasperServer. But I want to test to allow our one type of user of our application to create an ad hoc report dynamically with input fields. and also when other user of the application logs in, he can excute those ad hoc reports by providing the input values. What would be the best way to test this? I understood after searcghing and studing the sources, it is possible by copying those jasperserver adhoc related api into our application classpath, program it so that it enables to launch the ad hoc launcher to dynamically create reports by our web application users. Am I right? If so are those ad hoc  jar files available for free to test in my application? Please respond, I feel I am already late in understanding the topic.

Hi bindupothana. Welcome to the community!

First I'll say, please start a new topic versus responding to one that was last discussed over 3 years ago. It will help get your question answered.

In regards to your questions:

JasperServer was DESIGNED to be embedded into other applications. That's what makes it so versitile. It can run stand alone but a lot of people plug it into their existing framework.

To make sure you understand something: You don't need Ad Hoc reports to have input fields. Ad Hoc reporting means that your users can create a report from scratch inside of the web interface.

The Open Source edition of the product allows you to have input fields - they are called Input Controls and they are tied into a Parameter that has the same name.

Depending on the structure of your application it may make more sense to just call the JasperReports library directly versus embedding the whole JasperReports Server application. People do both things, just depends on your needs!