We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

Fill report params with static value?

kschmitte

Hello all,

I'm facing the following issue:

There are quite a few reports with included subreports which I need to develop (in iReport). When I then import them into JasperServer, I need to change the parameter holding the path to the subreport.

As I don't want to keep differnet versions of the report, and also don't want to type in the report name each time I execute it, I decided to create a subreport connection as follows:

$P{SUBREPORT_DIR} + "reportName." + $P{Extension}.

This allows me to define the parameters before the execution.

Now my question (which is general and not only restricted to my use case above):

How can I define a static value which will be passed to my report as parameter (value)?

So, as an example: The above mentioned Parameter should get the value "repo:". How can I assign this value to the report parameter in JasperServer?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I might have been not exact enough ;)

What I tried so far:

1) Create a Datatype & an Input Control - this always uses the Parameters default value when I run the report.

2) Create a List of Vlaues (with only one value) + an Input Control - the same result as above.

What I'm looking for,

- is a kind of constant to set my parameter while running the report from JasperServer (best: connected to the report execution, not to the resource jrxml)

OR

- the same as above, only while running from within IReport

OR

- is a possibility to have different standard values for parameters dependant on the running place.

Thanks for your help!

Kai

There is no such feature built in JasperServer (and I don't know about iReport), but you can achieve it relatively easily if you extend the JasperServed code.

You would need to extend com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.engine.jasperreports.service.impl.EngineServiceImpl (which is responsible for report executions) and change the "engineService" in applicationContext.xml to use your extended service class:

Code:

//the extended service class
package me;

public class MyEngineServiceImpl extends EngineServiceImpl {
protected Map getReportParameters(ExecutionContext context, Map requestParameters) {
Map reportParams = super.getReportParameters(context, requestParameters);

reportParams.put("SUBREPORT_DIR", "repo:"«»);
}
}

<!-- use the extended service class in applicationContext.xml -->
<bean id="engineService" class="me.MyEngineServiceImpl " destroy-method="release">

You could also implement a solution to have default parameter values per environment once you come up with a mechanism to distinguish the environments. You could have an explicit mechanism (e.g. create a JR property and manually set different values in the two environments), or employ some heuristics to automatically guess the environment (e.g. you could search for some specific classes). For instance:

Code:
[code]
//helper class
package me;

public class SubreportParameterHelper {
private final static String SUBREPORT_DIR;
static {
boolean isJasperServer;
try {
// if we find the JS repository class, we must be in JS
Class.forName("com.jaspersoft.jasperserver.api.metadata.common.service"«»);
isJasperServer = true;
} catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
// otherwise we must be in iReport
isJasperServer = false;
}
SUBREPORT_DIR = isJasperServer ? "repo:" : "..value for iReport..";
}

public static String getSubreportDir() {
return SUBREPORT_DIR;
}
}

<!-- use the helper class in reports -->
<parameter name="SUBREPORT_DIR">
<defaultValueExpression>me.SubreportParameterHelper.getSubreportDir()</defaultValueExpression>
</parameter>

Regards,

Lucian

Post edited by: lucianc, at: 2007/07/26 13:15

Hello lucianc,

thank you very much for this detailed answers!

I will try this within the next week and inform about the outcome.

Additionally I have created an Enhancement Request for this one: Artifact artf2385 : Add a constant value to fill Report Parameters

Kai