We've recently updated our Privacy Statement, available here ×

DateFormatUtils in crosstab problem

scottward

Hello,

When I place a text field with the following expression in the main report, everything works fine:

"test " + org.apache.commons.lang.time.DateFormatUtils.format($V{StartDate}, "yyyy")

When I place the same expression in a textfield in the detail field of a crosstab, I get the following error:

Error evaluating expression : Source text : "test " + org.apache.commons.lang.time.DateFormatUtils.format($V{StartDate}, "yyyy")
groovy.lang.GroovyRuntimeException: Ambiguous method overloading for method: format. Cannot resolve which method to invoke due to overlapping prototypes between: [long, class java.lang.String] and: [class java.util.Date, class java.lang.String] at groovy.lang.MetaClass.checkForInvalidOverloading(MetaClass.java:1770)

The StartDate measure is set as a Date with an expression that references the StartDate parameter, which is a Date.

This is interesting: when I replace $V{StartDate} with "new Date()" it works fine! Also, if I type in numbers (to pretend that I want to enter a Long) it compiles.

Its like the compiler can't tell if $V{StartDate} is a Date or a Long. But again I've triple checked that indeed it is a Date!

What am I missing here? It may be something simple that my non-Java-experiened-eyes can't see.

You're input is greatly appreciated.

Scotty

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the response Lucian.

I figured out that the problem had to do with the the fact that whenever the measure was null, so was the variable I was passing to DateFormatUtils. The text field had an expression set to a measure and a hypertextReference that utilized a parameter to construct the link. When the measure was null, the paramater was too for some reason.

I just made the expression for the link conditional so it only constructed the link (and referenced DateFormatUtils) if the measure was not null.

Scotty