Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

JasperServer on Solaris with Oracle Problem

JMoralesGER

Hallo everybody,

after having success with the installation of JasperServer Version 1.2.0, also with access to a separate Oracle Server Version 10.2 under Solaris Version 10, with Windows XP and Linux Fedora, unfortunately I have not achieve to have success installing it on a Solaris Sparc Workstation.

The jasperserver was copied to the right subdirectory (Tomcat-webapps) and the context-files were adapted (with the same corrections indicated on the Documentations for the Installation of the WAR-File), giving up a Tomcat http://HostAddress:8080/ (JasperServer included) with some problems:

###################

- - -

2007-03-14 17:34:17 StandardManager[/jasperserver]: Seeding random number generator class java.security.SecureRandom

2007-03-14 17:34:17 StandardManager[/jasperserver]: Seeding of random number generator has been completed

2007-03-14 17:34:17 Set web app root system property: 'jasperserver.root' = [/opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat-4.1.34-LE-jdk14/webapps/jasperserver/]

2007-03-14 17:34:17 Initializing Log4J from [/opt/tomcat/apache-tomcat-4.1.34-LE-jdk14/webapps/jasperserver/WEB-INF/log4j.properties]

2007-03-14 17:34:17 Loading Spring root WebApplicationContext

2007-03-14 17:34:23 StandardContext[/jasperserver]: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance

javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance

at org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:142)

at javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:304)

- - -

###################

Could you please tell me, which is the meaning of this ERROR (i.e. "Error creating bean with name 'dataSource' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml]: Invocation of init method failed; nested exception is javax.naming.NamingException: Cannot create resource instance"), because I have tried already many alternative changes on this applicationContext.xml-file without success.

Many thanks, Jorge

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The exception is caused by Tomcat not being able to create the JS metadata JDBC datasource (check $TOMCAT/conf/Catalina/$HOST/jasperserver.xml for the datasource definition). Check the logs, you should find the original exception and identify why the datasource creation fails.

A workaround to this is to no longer use Tomcat datasource, and directly configure the datasource in Spring:

Code:

<bean id="dataSource" class="org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource">
<property name="driverClassName" value=".."/>
<property name="url" value=".."/>
<property name="username" value=".."/>
<property name="password" value=".."/>
<property name="maxActive" value=".."/>
</bean>

HTH,

Lucian

Hi Lucian,

many thanks for your prompt answer.

I have put the connection to the database in ".../Catalina/localhost/context.xml" (Tomcat had not named it "jasperserver.xml") and in ".../webapps/jasperserver/META-INF out (As comments).

I have changed the definition of "<bean id="dataSource" ..." to the one you told me in the ".../WEB-INF/applicationContext.xml"-file.

There was a "Parse"-Problem (I didn't see!) with the Tomcat "digester", which I will try to solve first and also a Message "Context does not have docBase set" (I suposse because there is no "docBase"-Parameter on the "Context path" on those files).

Now, the starting-up go ahead with the JasperServer, but another "beans" (i.e. related with the report scheduling) can not use the "dataSource" from the applicationContext (maybe, this bean must be also defined on this last file).

After solving the Problem with Tomcat, I will tell you about the new results.

In the mean time, you could give me more advices about this subject, because I could still not understand the use of the "quartzScheduler".

Have a nice time, Jorge

Hello Lucian,

many thanks, but after installing Tomcat 5.5.23 (from another source!) the problems were solved.

I have found LDAP (as alternative) for the user (Account/Password) access to JasperServer. Is there also the possibility of using NIS, so that our Users must be managed only once on our Product?

Regards, Jorge