Changes to the Jaspersoft community edition download ×

By: Gregory Harris - tekiegreg

.NET Porting?

2005-07-26 15:33

Hi there, I was thinking of porting JasperReports over to .NET from Java (probably via J# or C#) granted that the report rendering engines I've seen out there for .NET are hideously expensive. A few questions:

1) If I were to do this, would the authors have a problem doing this?

2) I would plan to release my code under GPL (In doing this I'd have no choice) but of course I can't release the .NET built-in assemblies (such as system.dll) which I'd have to use to some extent, is there a conflict with the GPL in doing this?

3) If I set up a separate sourceforge project for this, anyone interested in signing up? Just gauging preliminary interest...

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be interested in helping out on the project. I have several ideas that would make use of it.

But a couple things to keep in mind:

a) the license would have to be the LGPL because it would be a derivative work based on JasperReports, which is already under the LGPL. Plus because of how the reports/reporting engine would be used the LGPL provides usage without the calling project having to be GPL'd as well.

b) Don't target the .NET framework itself, target Mono/.NET so that way it is still cross platform. Plus I'm not 100% sure if you understand how the .NET framework operates because when you release your binary code, it doesn't include any of the DLLs from the framework. It just makes use of those DLLs when it runs.

Also have you created a project for this yet or not?